As the world faces freshwater supply issues, Kurita America is committed to making every drop count. In July, we recognize the Irrigation Association’s Smart Irrigation Month, which helps educate and inform growers about efficient irrigation technologies. Growers using micro-irrigation and other efficient systems are on the right path towards using less water, but it’s still important to understand some basic ways to improve irrigation efficiency.
1. Minimize runoff and waste. If too much water is applied and the storage capacity of the soil is exceeded, runoff occurs. That’s why applying water with precision is key.
2. Increase productivity through efficient irrigation. Efficient irrigation maximizes yield and crop quality while reducing water loss. Farmers can incorporate smart irrigation technology to be both profitable and sustainable.
3. Practice good soil management. Proper soil management can be key to conserving water by improving infiltration and reducing runoff. Know your soil and explore options to increase water-use efficiency.
4. Improve irrigation scheduling. Using technology to improve scheduling allows growers to more precisely irrigate, preventing stress on crops and avoiding excess water use.
5. Take advantage of cost-share programs. The Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) – a USDA cost-share program – enables farmers to upgrade to more efficient irrigation solutions. Check to see if you’re eligible.
By following smart irrigation practices and working with a certified professional like Kurita America’s Agriculture Team, you too can be an industry leader in efficient irrigation.